Road Traffic and Car Accidents
At Howell & Co. Solicitors, we are experienced in accident investigation. We try to make your experience after a road traffic incident as stress free as possible. Our aim is to get the best results for our clients.
What do I do if involved in a Traffic Accident*?
All road traffic accidents can be stressful so it’s important to be aware of what to do if you are involved in an accident. People can make simple mistakes like leaving the scene of an accident or leaving without getting the other drivers details.
- Do not accept responsibility/liability at the scene of the accident. You may initially think it is your fault, but remember that you might be experiencing an element of shock and may also be unaware if the other driver was at fault, through speed or impaired or dangerous driving. Witnesses may have vital information that you don’t. Also it may be a condition of your Insurance Policy not to admit liability following an accident. Your solicitor or Insurer can advise after the accident once the full facts are available.
- Do not leave the scene of an accident without first exchanging information with the other driver, pedestrian or cyclist.
- Call the Gardai and make sure you get the details of the Garda (name, Garda station etc.). The Gardai will take information on how serious the accident is and will decide if they will attend or not. If it is a minor accident they may not attend. If they decide to attend then you must remain at the scene until they arrive.
- Always report the accident to your Insurance Company and to the Gardai.
- Take full details of the other driver, cyclist or pedestrian. For example registration numbers, insurance details (insurance company and policy number) and witness details.
- Always try take photos of the scene of the accident, including photos of any damage to cars or bicycles etc.
- Try to remain calm, even if the other driver is displaying anger or aggression. People react differently in stressful situations.
- The most important thing after an accident is to make sure you are physically alright. If a Garda or member of the emergency services, thinks you need medical attention, heed their advice. They will have a lot of experience in relation to traffic accidents and of dealing with people in shock.
- Your solicitor can advise you on things such as car repair estimates, medical expert opinion and personal expenses.
Call our Solicitors for confidential advice about your accident at 01-4030777 or send an email to email@example.com